INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON KISWAHILI LANGUAGE AND GLOBALIZATION, 4-7 JULY 2005
UNIVERSITY OF DAR ES SALAAM
INSTITUTE OF KISWAHILI RESEARCH
P.O. Box 35110
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
INVITATION TO IKR JUBILEE CELEBRATIONS AND TO AN INTERNATIONAL
SYMPOSIUM ON KISWAHILI LANGUAGE AND GLOBALIZATION, 4-7 JULY 2005
We are pleased to inform you that from 4th to 7th July 2005 the Institute
of Kiswahili Research (IKR) of the University of Dar es Salaam, will be
marking 75 years of its existence since it was established in 1930. I am pleased to invite you to participate in the celebrations, due to take place from 4-7 July, 2005.
Among the activities scheduled for the occasion is an International Symposium on Kiswahili Language and Globalization which will be jointly organized by the IKR, the Department of Kiswahili of the University of Dar es Salaam and the Department of African Studies of the University of Napoli "Orientale" (UNO), Italy. The impact and challenges of globalization on various aspects of Kiswahili scholarship will be the focus of the deliberations at the Conference. The Conference sub-themes are:
1. Kiswahili and global trade
2. Kiswahili literature and globalization
3. Kiswahili lexicography/terminography and globalization
4. Kiswahili within regional and continental (Africa) contexts
5. Kiswahili and education in global perspectives
6. Globalisation and translation trends
7. Kiswahili and Information Technology
8. Kiswahili and HIV/AIDS
9. Globalization and the teaching of Kiswahili as a foreign language
10. Globalization and morphosyntacic trends
11. Kiswahili and the tourist industry in East Africa (in the aspects of culture and local interactions)
12. Kiswahili, other African languages and globalization
13. African oral literature and globalization
14. Kiswahili publishing and globalization
15. Kiswahili women writers and globalization
6. Other relevant sub-themes that may be proposed by participants.
The IKR, in recognition of your outstanding contribution in Kiswahili and/or African Languages and Literatures studies, would like to formally invite you to participate in the planned Symposium. Your are also invited to present a paper, in either Kiswahili or English, on any of the Symposium sub-themes, should you choose to do so. Abstracts should reach the organizers before 30/5/2005.
Unfortunately no funding is as yet available for the Symposium, hence all participants (or their sponsors/employers) are expected to pay for their own passage, accommodation and subsistence while in Dar es Salaam/Tanzania. More documentation will be sent to you as soon as you confirm your participation.The participation fee will be TSh. 30,000/= for participants from Africa, and US $ 50 for participants from outside Africa.
Prof. M.M. Mulokozi