Position Description: Short-term Consultant (STC)
Unit: Africa Finance and Private Sector Development – West and Central Africa
Location: Washington DC
Expected start date: November 1, 2011
Duration: 3 months with possible extension
Background to the Unit and Region
The Finance and Private Sector Development Department of the Africa Region covers both finance and private sector development issues. Our vision is to work with African governments to promote access to finance and to create an enabling environment for private sector development and job creation in Africa. Among the key areas of work for the Unit are investment climate assessments, jobs creation, productivity development, innovation promotion, entrepreneurship development, industry competiveness, public-private partnerships, and financial sector development.
The Unit is headed by a Director, supported by two Sector Managers organized along geographical lines.
Duties and Responsibilities
The unit is looking for a STC for a period of 3 months, with the possibility of an offer for a 2-year contract at the end of the STC assignment.
The STC’s responsibilities would include, but not be limited to, the following:
– Project work: work with the Task Team Leaders on the Unit’s projects covering finance and private sector development issues in one or more countries, including project identification, preparation and supervision; impact evaluation; writing of briefings and funding applications; follow-up with clients and field office staff; etc.
– Analytical work: research, briefing notes and presentations; data analysis; etc.
– General support: help coordinate regional work programs; applying for and monitoring trust funds and grants; organization and preparation of upcoming events; etc.
– Any other task as requested by the department Director, Sector Managers and other senior staff.
Essential Skills, Experience and Qualifications
• Master’s degree in a relevant field (economics, finance, industrial organization, public policy or related subject)
• Relevant work experience and/or knowledge in one of the two sectors would be an advantage
• Excellent oral and written communications skills in English are required
• Fluency in French is necessary
• Familiarity with the region would be a major asset
• Strong project management and organization skills
• Strong analytical and microeconomic skills (including econometric skills and knowledge of statistical packages such as STATA)
• Ability to engage with different stakeholders and provide timely support
• Ability to convey knowledge and ideas succinctly and clearly
• Ability to provide professional support to senior staff and to work effectively in a team- oriented, multi-cultural environment
• Ability to work flexibly on a range of assignments and prioritize a variety of complex evolving tasks
• Strong analytical skills to gather and organize information, compile data and carry out research
• Capacity to multitask and willingness to travel if necessary
• Below the age of 28 (please indicate date of birth).
How to apply
Please send all applications to AFTFPrecruit@gmail.com by close of business on October 23, 2011. Applications should include a resume and a brief cover letter. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.