Start date: As soon as possible
Location: Flexible i.e. working remotely
Status: 40% (2 days a week)
Compensation: Rates are competitive, negotiated based on experience
Deadline for application: 16 December 2017
IRIN is one of the world’s leading sources of original, field-based journalism about humanitarian crises. We put quality, independent journalism at the service of the world’s most vulnerable people. Our journalists report from the frontlines of conflicts and natural disasters in some 70 countries to drive more effective prevention of and responses to crises. Our formats range from reportage and analysis to infographics and in-depth multimedia packages.
Formerly part of the UN, IRIN is now fully independent. This give us significant scope to take our content and audience engagement to the next level. This means launching new content formats, being more responsive to story opportunities and applying a more rigorous, analytics-based approach to engaging with existing users and new target audiences.
We are recruiting an experienced web developer to help support this work. The right candidate will have both a strong technical background and the ability to work and communicate well with non-technical staff.
We want someone sharp, dynamic and entrepreneurial who is both hands-on and strategic, making every-day improvements to our digital platform while helping shape our longer-term online strategy. You’ll join a diverse, passionate team of journalists and editors, and report to a non-technical management team. You’ll work closely with a multimedia producer, audience engagement manager, and the digital agency which hosts our website.
Role and Responsibilities
We function as an international online publisher, headquartered in Geneva, with a small virtual workforce across multiple timezones. Our main publishing platform is on Drupal (v7) with customisation and we rely on online collaboration and cloud-based services.
Working closely with our editorial team, you’ll implement new features and functionality to support richer multimedia content, sharper layouts and a more interactive experience. You’ll improve the overall functionality and responsiveness of our website and help our team roll out new tools and processes to support audience growth and engagement as we seek to improve the user experience and responsiveness of our platform.
You’ll liaise with the agency which hosts our website to ensure high performance and availability and manage all in-house technical aspects of our content management system. You’ll also get involved in other non-Drupal related projects. We are looking for a well-rounded developer with a strong understanding of technology trends, particularly as they relate to the media industry; content management systems; and the full cycle of the web development process, including design, development and deployment.
Skills and Experience
- You’ll be able to confidently work with our content team to take our journalism to the next level – think creative approaches to data presentation – and able to cast a critical eye over our current approach and recommend enhancements
- You’ll be flexible and pragmatic, able to balance technical needs and editorial goals whilst working to tight deadlines
- You’ll be keen to learn and experiment with new tools and technologies
- Previous experience working in a web developer role for media organizations is highly desirable.
- A full stack developer with broader software development experience in addition to Drupal
- At least two years’ experience in Drupal development that goes deeper than basic theming and includes integrating with third party applications and services
- Knowledge/experience of MailChimp, DFP, Google Analytics, MySQL, Linode, AWS
2 days a week with on-call arrangement for emergencies
Fee commensurate with experience SUITE